Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Ferberizing and Routines

I haven't had a full night's sleep in 5 months. Whether it was due to experience or good genetics, each of our babies were better-behaved than the last. Until Alex. Apparently a boy is different in EVERYthing! He is a true Mama's Boy. He would be attached to me permanently if he could. I love him to pieces, and this makes me feel very special, but I want my sleep! He has absolutely no problem going to sleep. He has an extreme problem *staying* asleep. 2 hours max. Then he wants to play. This doesn't work for me after midnight. So I have gotten him on a strict schedule. Starting at 8:00, we bathe (he loves the water), get pj's on, get his last meal, and read a story. Then it's off to bed. No problem. He will even put himself to sleep. Only to wake up an hour later.

Hence the Ferberizing. He has to learn how to calm himself and put himslef back to sleep. Let him cry for a few minutes. Go in and pat him, talk to him. Walk out. Let him cry. Go in and pat him. Don't pick him up, don't pick him up, don't pick him up. This is so hard! I stuck it out for 45 minutes. Then I worry that he might still be hungry. I finally cave and get him up to eat. Oh, he's so happy! He's jumping, laughing, playing, but NOT eating. All that time ruined because I caved! I should have stuck it out. Oh well. We'll try it again tonight. I know he won't get it the first day, or even the first few days. But if he started sleeping on his own, it would be sooooo worth it! Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

In stitching news, month two of the Dracolair SAL is over. Click for details. Back to Lilly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home