Thursday, October 07, 2004

Ack! I'm Old!

For those Back to the Future fans, picture Jennifer in the present coming face to face with the Jennifer of the future. Young Jennifer screeches, "I'm old!" as the old Jennifer simultaneously ejects, "I'm young!" This paradox describes me right now. At this very moment (well, maybe not this EXACT one), I am getting ready to go to my 10-year high school reunion. I get to spend the weekend with people I barely remember, not to mention barely liked (I hope none of them are reading this!). I'm tempted not to go, but it's one of those things I won't be able to do later. If I don't go, I'll never have another chance. So I'm going to go, if for no other reason than just to make sure I don't regret not going later. Besides, I want to see who has gotten fat :)

But the whole idea of a 10-year reunion has made me realize how much time has passed since I was a kid. I guess I will finally have to admit that I'm an adult now. I do have four children, after all. I am the head of a household, after all. I have my own home in a city where my parents don't live, after all. But grown up? Me? I don't FEEL grown up. I don't have a job (a paying one, anyway). I still play with Barbies (with my children, of course!), and I get to watch cartoons on Saturdays. But somehow, it happened without my knowledge or permission. Sigh....maybe one day I'll actually LOOK old enough to buy liquor without a driver's license!

The reunion is two hours away, in my hometown and the town where my and DH's parents still live. Which means that this will be Alex's first real trip. So far, he has been a very good baby. He wakes up 2-3 times at night, but he (almost) always goes right back to sleep. Sleep for me has been interrupted, but not overly lacking. We are excited to show him off, but I'm not so thrilled at the idea of leaving him for a night. He is only three weeks old today.

Well, off to get my hair done so I look as fabulous as possible, which will be really hard, considering I have all this leftover baby weight - not the best time for a reunion, when you're supposed to be a knockout so you can wow all your x-boyfriends. Oh well. I'll have the best-looking husband!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home